- 1 pk Mochi flour
- 1 Coconut; grated, place -coconut in a large bowl
- 1 1/2 c Hot water; pour into bowl -of coconut
- 1/3 Box of dark brown sugar
- 1/4 c Cold water
- Squeeze grated coconut in water then strain coconut water in clean dish towel over another bowl.
- Squeeze until all liquid has been extracted. (Instead of fresh coconut, you may use 1/2 can of grated coconut and 1 1/2 cups of water.)
- Place canned coconut in flour and add water until dough is soft but not too sticky.
- Do the same with fresh coconut.
- Shape dough in balls of 1 inch diameter and deep fry until golden brown.
- Drain dough balls on paper towel.
- Then put them in a large mixing bowl.
- When all have been fried, boil water and brown sugar in a small sauce pan until it reaches the soft boil stage.
- This is done by placing a drop of syrup in a bowl of cold water. If it retains it shape and is soft, it is ready.
- Pour over dough balls. Mix well so that all are coated with syrup.
- Remove from bowl and place them in a platter to cool.
- Excellent with coffee or tea