Traditional Halo-Halo Recipe
Ingredients & Instructions:
- mung beans (red mung beans preferably)
- garbanzos(chick peas)
- colored gelatin (in bright green, red and yellow) made from agar-agar is reminiscent of colorful fiestas.
- nata de coco
- kidney beans
- macapuno (sweetened coconut meat)
- sago (tapioca) in syrup
- plantain or saba bananas (sweetened)
- langka (jackfruit) that are mollified in syrup can be used as flavor enhancers.
- crushed ice is deftly hand-picked and placed into your tall glass!) entombs the ingredients
- ¼ cup of evaporated milk poured over the pile of ingredients
- haleyang ube (purple yam)
- leche flan (a personal favorite!) are placed atop the crushed ice.
- roasted pinipig (pounded, roasted rice)
- a scoop of ice cream gives more sumptuous alternative.
With all the ingredients in place, the halo-halo concoction is complete, inviting, refreshing ready to be feasted on.
Fresh Halo-Halo Recipe
- shredded buko (young fresh coconut meat)
- shredded/juliene melon (cantaloupe)
- star apple (scooped)
- mango (cubed)
- Strawberries (cut or whole)
- Grapes (seeded & peeled)
- 1 ripe banana (cut)
- crushed ice
- caramelized sugar (if desired)
- Evaporated milk, fresh milk, all purpose cream, condensed milk or Coconut milk (use any of the alternatives or a combination as desired)
- Just put altogether all the ingredients in one dish
- Put the crushed ice on top of the ingredients
- Pour the choice or desired creamer
- Mix and enjoy your fresh halo-halo
You can add any fruit desired or as available but avoid the sour ones, it may turn the concoction bitter in reaction with the milk/creamer.