- 2 cups purple yam, washed, peeled and cubed
- 2 cups sweet rice flour
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1-1/4 cup coconut milk
- 4 tablespoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup grated coconut
- Cover yams with water and boil until tender or soft.
- Drain and put through a ricer.
- Mash until smooth.
- Mix flour and water in a bowl to form a thick batter.
- Add sugar and mashed yams. Blend well.
- Strain to remove lumps.
- Add coconut milk and the baking powder and mix well.
- Pour mixture into greased muffin pans to 2/3 full
- Steam over boiling water about 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Serve hot, warm or at room temperature, topped with coconut.