- 400 g (2 cups) uncooked rice
- 500 ml (2 cups) water
- 3 eggs
- 125 g (1/2 cup) sugar
- 2 tablespoons melted butter, plus additional for brushing
- 250 ml (1 ¼ cup) thick coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 sheet banana leaf
- 250 g (8 oz) cottage cheese or cheddar cheese, grated
- Salted eggs
- Soak rice in water overnight.
- Drain rice, reserving the liquid. In a blender or food processor, grind the rice finely, adding just enough of the reserved liquid so the mixture is not dry.
- Set aside for about 12 hours at room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 180ºC (350º F)
- Beat eggs in a bowl until foamy.
- Add sugar and butter until fluffy.
- Pour the coconut milk into the ground rice and mix well.
- Blend into the egg mixture, beating well until smooth.
- Add baking powder.
- Wilt banana leaves by passing over an open flame for several seconds.
- Line 2 small baking dishes, or heatproof pans, about 20 cm (8 inches) in diameter, with banana leaves.
- Brush banana leaves with butter. Pour mixture into the baking dishes, distributing evenly. Top with grated cheese and salted eggs
- Bake in preheated oven for about 20 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Serve hot with cheese on top and grated coconut flesh on the side.