- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- Put sugar and water in a saucepan.
- Caramelize in high heat.
- Line loaf tin with caramelized sugar.
- Be sure to line the sides of the pan.
- 12 egg yolks
- 1 can condensed milk
- 1 pint evaporated or fresh milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla (lemon essence or peppermit can be substituted)
- Blend all ingredients in a blender.
- Pour mixture into a loaf tin lined with caramelized sugar
- Cover with aluminum foil.
- Place tin in a larger baking pan half-filled with water.
- Place pan in pre-heated oven (375 F)
- Bake flan for about 1 hour or until it is firm.
Tocino Del Cielo
- 25 egg yolks
- 4 cups sugar
- 3 cups water
- Boil sugar and water untilsyrupformssmall ball when dropped in water.
- Beat egg yolks, add the syrup after cooling it then blend well and strain.
- Line a pan or small molds with thick caramel syrup.
- Fill ¾ full with mixture and steam until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Allow to cool before unmolding.
NOTE: Tocino Del Cielo is often baked in small individual molds and placed in small soufflé cups for serving
Light and Fruity Caramel Flan
- 1 1/3 cup sugar, divided
- 1/3 cup water
- 6 to 8 large eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup peach or mango puree
- 1/4 teaspoon lime peel, grated finely
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Make a caramel using 1 cup sugar and 1/3 cup water.
- Pour into a 5 cup gratin or souffle dish.
- In a bowl, whisk eggs, milk, remaining 1/3 cup water, puree and salt.
- Add grated lime peel, stir and pour into prepared pan.
- Place in a bain-marie.
- Bake in oven until a toothpic inserted halfway between center and edge comes out clean, Let cool to room temperature.
- Chill at least 1 – 2 hours.
- Unmold onto serving platter
- 2 cups kalabasa (pumpkin), cut finely
- 1 cup condensed milk
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon dayap (lime) or vanilla
- Boil the squash. Mash until smooth.
- Add eggs, mil, rind or vanilla. Strain.
- Sprinkle sugar on the leche flan tin mold (llanera)
- And put the mold on the fire until sugar browns.
- Place the squash mixture into the llanera,
- Steam for about 20 minutes